The following are the requirements to become a clinical instructor (preceptor) for the Concordia University Wisconsin (CUW) School of Pharmacy experiential learning program:
1. Licensed pharmacist for at least one year. PGY1 residents may serve as primary preceptors for IPPE students.
2. Pharmacist license is in good standing with the state Board of Pharmacy.
3. Participate and remain up to date in the CUW Clinical Instructor orientation and training program.
4. Understand and comply with the CUWSOP Clinical Instructor Expectations listed below.
- Orient the student to the practice site (i.e. schedule, daily responsibilities, parking, etc.).
- Be familiar with the objectives for the experiential course(s) they are precepting.
- In collaboration with the student and the practice site demands, establish a plan for the experience that assures the student is able to complete the required activities and course objectives.
- Monitor student progress in accomplishing activities and objectives.
- Regularly assess the student and provide constructive feedback.
- Complete and discuss all evaluations with the student in a timely fashion.
- Serve as a resource and mentor for students.
- Immediately notify the Office of Experiential Education of any student experiencing difficulties.
- Maintain student confidentiality.
- Display enthusiasm for teaching and working with students.
- Understand the CUW School of Pharmacy mission and vision.
5. Complete the process for becoming a CUWSOP Clinical Instructor.
6. Experiential Education Resource Manual for Clinical Instructors and Students (The Experiential Education Resource Manual houses all policies and procedures for experiential education)
Clinical Instructor Orientation and Training
Clinical instructors are expected to complete the applicable CUWSOP online training module prior to the arrival of a CUW SOP student at your site. Access these modules.
Process to become a CUWSOP Clinical Instructor
1. Your site must have a current affiliation agreement with CUW SOP. If you are unsure if your site does, check with your manager or contact Melissa Theesfeld.
2. Complete our Online Clinical Instructor Application.
3. Once you complete the application, you will be in our database. We will contact you when we have possible student placements for your site.
Process to become a CUWSOP Experiential Site
If your pharmacy is interested in hosting CUWSOP students, please take a moment to fill out our pharmacy information form to begin the process. Once the completed form is received, the Office of Experiential Education will contact you with additional information.