Center-based & online learners

Center Based & Online Learners Accelerated Learning and Center Based students represent nearly 17% of the overall CUW community. CUW is required to provide equal access to programs and facilities to all students with disabilities, including those students who take classes online and at our various Centers. The means through which the ARC Accessibility Services are rendered may differ by campus, class, and student. Students at campuses other than Mequon must work closely with the ARC and their Center Director to learn how to maneuver their classes with accommodations. If you are an online or Center student, we encourage you to assert your questions and needs regarding your disability.  If you are not a registered with Accessibility Services, please visit our Register with Accessibility Services page to learn how to register and to see what qualifies as acceptable documentation.

What happens after I submit my documentation and Application for DSS?

  • Students must apply, be accepted, and enrolled in courses at Concordia University Wisconsin to start the process.
  • Student must complete the Registration.
  • Student must submit current documentation from a licensed professional regarding disability.
  • Within 7 business days of receiving the application and documentation, the ARC will contact the student to schedule an intake appointment. The intake appointment can take place over the phone or in-person, based on your location.
  • Once the file is complete students will be informed of the outcome via CUW email within 7 days of the intake appointment. 

As a student registered with the ARC, it is our hope that you will utilize your accommodations to help you be successful in your courses throughout your time at CUW. Now that you are a successfully registered with the ARC, here is what you need to know. Upon successful registration:

  1. An email will be sent to your CUW account with login information for the ARC AS Portal.
  2. Once you have received access to the portal, you can begin submitting “Accommodation Requests.” This is where you will get to choose the courses for which you will use your accommodations.
  3. Students can submit accommodation requests: after they have registered for classes, no sooner than midterms the semester prior. The ideal time to submit accommodation requests is 1-2 months prior to the beginning of the semester for which the student wants to use their accommodations. 

How do I access Alternative Format Texts if I am a Center-based student?

If you are a student who has been granted Alternative Format Texts as an accommodation:

  1. Fill out the Alternative Format Request form a minimum of 4 weeks prior to the start of the course.
  2. Submit the forms and a copy of the receipt of purchase/rental for the text book.
  3. Disability Support Services will contact the publisher to try and obtain a copy of the alternative format text. It takes a minimum for the publisher to process the request.
  4. Alternative format textbook will be sent to the student via the CUW Office 360 account.
  5. Student will be sent an email with the link to the text.
  6. Students are able to download a free screen reader software " Natural Reader" to read the text.

What other resources does the ARC offer to Center/Online Learners?

We offer Smarthinking online tutoring which is staffed by trained e-instructors who tutor students in the undergraduate subject areas of Math, Science, Business, and Spanish. We also offer the Online Writing Lab (OWL) for more information go to the ARC page or review the ARC Services Handout.