Start with Disability Support Services

CUW is committed to removing barriers that prevent students with disabilities from achieving their academic goals. Whether you are a current CUW student or incoming freshman, the information below will help you to begin the process of registering with DSS.  

What is a disability?

Under the Americans with Disability Action Section 504: A person is considered to be a person with a disability if he/she is someone with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.

Who is eligible for DSS?

To receive services from CUW's Disability Support Services, the student, according to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), must have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. In addition, students must provide appropriate documentation which supports the physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.

How do I register with DSS?

  • Students must apply, be accepted, and enrolled in courses at Concordia University Wisconsin to start the process.
  • Student must complete the Application for Disability Support Services.
  • Student must submit current documentation from a licensed professional regarding disability.
  • Within 7 business days of receiving the application and documentation the Disability Service Coordinator will contact the student to schedule an intake appointment.
  • Once the file is complete students will be informed of the outcome via CUW email within 7 days of the intake appointment.
Apply Here

What documentation is needed? 

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act as Amended (ADAAA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, individuals with disabilities have certain protection and rights to accommodations in colleges and universities. Documentation must be recent and include an evaluation by a licensed clinical professional (who is to related to the person being evaluated) describing the current impact and limitations of the disability. This standard of documentation also applies to housing accommodation request due to physical or medical conductions. It is the student’s sole responsibility to provide recent, professional, medical document of his or her disability The documentation should include the following:

  • A comprehensive statement identifying the disability/condition, date of the current diagnostic evaluation, and the date of the original diagnosis
  • A description of the diagnostic criteria and /or diagnostic test(s) used.
  • Treatment, medications, assistive devices/service currently prescribed or being used.
  • A description of the current functional impact/limitations of the disability.
  • Recommendations for specific accommodations and rationale for those recommendations.
  • The credentials of the diagnosing professional(s) including the training and experience which enabled the person capable of making the diagnosis(es).

Please note: most I.E.P. (Individual Educational Plans) from high school do not include the full psycho-educational testing and results required. For your convenience, you may also choose to provide your health care professional with the Disability Verification Form.

Printable Documentation Guideline Download

Where can I receive an assessment if I think I have a disability?  

If you suspect you have a learning disability and need to be assessed, there are a few things you should do.

First, if you have insurance, check with your insurance provider regarding coverage for learning disability
assessments (sometimes called psycho-educational or neuro-psychological evaluations). If assessments
are covered, inquire about the process for finding a provider in your area.

Second, ask your doctor to refer you to a licensed health professional, such as a psychologist, who has the
expertise to perform learning disability assessments. Oftentimes, a referral from your doctor increases
the likelihood that your insurance company will cover at least part of the cost for the assessment.

Local Resources: (PDF)

Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin
Child Development Center
13800 W North Ave Ste 120
Brookfield, WI 53005
(414) 607-5280

The Neuropsychology Clinic
Medical College of Wisconsin
9200 W. Wisconsin Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53226
(414) 805-5235

Marquette University
Center for Psychological Service
Cramer Hall, 307
Milwaukee, WI 53233
(414) 288-3487

Lighthouse Clinic
Psychological Testing Center
2524 E. Webster Place, Suite 203
Milwaukee, WI 53211
(414) 964-9200

Timeliness of Decisions Concerning Accommodation Requests

It is our goal in Disability Support Services (DSS) to process requests for accommodations in a timely manner. This means that we can usually process completed requests within 7- 14 business days. However, during peak times, e.g. at the beginning of a semester or for more complex requests, this timeline often needs to be reasonably extended. Please consider this when seeking accommodations and submit your requests as early as possible.  Initial requests for accommodations are considered complete when the Disability Support Services Office has:

Please note: the 7–14 business days begin at the time the complete request for accommodations is received by the DSS office.