Call for nominations
The Presidential Search Committee of Concordia University Wisconsin and Ann Arbor (CUWAA) invites nominations of candidates in its search for Concordia’s 9th president.
The bylaws of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS) prescribe this process and establish the critical functions and necessary qualifications for university presidents. LCMS congregations, the Board of Directors of the Concordia University System, the CUWAA Board of Regents, and CUWAA faculty may submit nominations.
The University seeks a deeply committed leader of uncommon capacity, Christian character, Lutheran fidelity, and innovative will, who believes in Concordia’s core values and will effectively navigate the university into its future, ensuring success for generations of Concordians to come.
Outstanding nominees will satisfy the required and desired qualifications. Nominations will include information about the nominee and the nominator, including a description of how the individual satisfies the qualifications.
The search committee will authenticate all nominations received. Those submitting nominations on behalf of a congregation will need to identify their congregation and the name and contact information of their congregation’s senior pastor. Nominations must be made by congregations, not individual members.
Once authenticated, nominees will accept or decline the nomination. If they accept, they will be asked to submit their professional resume/CV. The list of nominees will not be published (per the bylaws of the LCMS (220.127.116.11.2), but will be sent to the LCMS Prior Approval Panel.
The CUWAA Board of Regents will submit all nominations received, authenticated, and accepted by the nominees directly to the LCMS Prior Approval Panel without any screening or pre-approval.
The Presidential Search Committee is open to considering candidates from a range of backgrounds who meet the requirements for candidacy established by the LCMS as stated in the Handbook (bylaws) and who demonstrate the university’s preferred qualifications.
The president serves as the executive officer of the Board of Regents as well as the spiritual, academic, and administrative head of the institution (LCMS bylaw 18.104.22.168). Compelling nominees will meet these criteria:
- An active member in good standing of an LCMS congregation
- Faithful to the Holy Scriptures, sharing that faith and its expression in worship and service
- Faithful to the Lutheran Confessions and firmly supportive of the LCMS constitution, bylaws, practices, and policies
- Capable to serve ably as the Christ-centered spiritual leader of the university
- A champion for Lutheran Christian higher education, with a clear and passionate vision for 21st century faith-based higher education
- Experience as a senior officer of a large, complex, multi-geographical organization with many different publics or constituencies and a budget in excess of $100M
- Possess an earned terminal degree (Ed.D., Ph.D., Th.D., or similar)
Other preferred essential professional characteristics and experience, essential values, and personal characteristics are outlined in the candidate profile available here.
Concordia University is in an exceptional position. Thanks be to God, there is much to celebrate. The next president will engage the entire Concordia community—by God’s continued grace and provision—as we embark upon our next chapter of excellence in higher education—for the sake of Christ Jesus, in service to the Church and the world.