International Student Information

Below are just a few of the regulations that you must follow while in the United States in

F-1/J-1 status.  You are responsible for knowing all of the regulations pertaining to your status, not just the ones listed below.  It is your responsibility to maintain your status while in the United States.  Be sure to read page 2 of your I-20/DS-2019 if you haven’t already done so.

You must continually maintain your F-1/J-1 student status.  This means that:

  1. You must be continuously enrolled full-time on campus in your program of study at Concordia University.  Refer to the link “full-time enrollment requirements” for the specific requirements for full-time enrollment in your particular program of study.  Full-time requirements are subject to change.
  1. You must always have a valid passport.  If it will expire while you are in the U.S., you need to renew it at least six months before the expiration date.  Note:  It is okay if your visa expires while you are in the United States provided you are maintaining your status and have a valid passport, valid I-20/DS-2019, and I-94 admission marked D/S; however, if you leave the U.S., you will need to get a new visa before you re-enter.  Visas cannot be renewed within the U.S.
  1. You must always have a valid I-20/DS-2019.  If any of the information on the I-20/DS-2019 needs to be changed, you must contact the Concordia International Center (CIC) immediately to make the appropriate corrections.
  1. You must not undertake any type of off-campus employment without proper authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service.  Working off campus without authorization is a violation of your F-1/J-1 status.
  1. The CIC must always have a current address on file for you.  If you move, two things must happen:  1) the CIC will have to update your address in the SEVIS system and Banner and 2) you must submit a Form AR-11 [] to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security within 10 days of moving.
  1. If you have any questions about what you can or cannot do, please contact a Designated School Official (DSO) in the CIC before you do or do not participate in something such as employment, not enrolling in courses full time, dropping a course, etc.  Often times when your friends tell you that you can do something, your friends are wrong.  Always check with a DSO before you do something that may jeopardize your status in the U. S.
  1. You must pay your school fees before classes begin and you must continue to make academic progress.
  1. Be sure to have page 3 of your I-20/page 1 of your DS-2019 signed before you leave the United States if you are planning on re-entering the country in F-1/J-1 status.

Walk-In Advising Hours to meet with your International Student Advisor

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
12:30-4:00pm 12:30-4:00pm 9:00-12:30pm 2:00-6:00pm 9:00-12:30pm

If you are unable to meet with your International Student Advisor during Walk-In Advising Hours, please email Robin Kuzu to make an appointment.

Robin Kuzu/PDSO
International Student Advisor

Account information

All tuition, resident hall fees, and other school charges must be paid before the first day of class and before moving in the residence halls.  Failure to pay your fees on time will result in your account being placed on hold.  If this happens, you will not be able to register for class and your SEVIS record could be terminated.  Also remember that before a member of the CIC will endorse paperwork for you such as travel signatures, reviewing break forms, writing invitation letters, etc., your student account must be at a zero balance.

Health insurance

Medical care in the U.S. is very expensive.  J-1 status holders are required by the U.S. Department of State to have continuous medical insurance coverage which includes repatriation & medical evacuation coverage while in the U.S.  J-1 status holders with a DS-2019 issued by Concordia University must provide the CIC with proof of this insurance coverage within a week of entering the U.S.   F-1 students also should continuously have health insurance coverage while studying in the United States.  If you don’t have health insurance, you may stop by the Concordia International Center (KA115) to pick up insurance information from various insurance vendors that is available for international students to purchase.  Concordia University does not endorse any specific insurance company.  Please purchase health insurance immediately if you do not have a medical plan that covers you in the United States!

Social security numbers

Social security numbers are only needed if you will be employed in the United States.  You do not need a social security number to open a bank account or to get a Wisconsin driver’s license.  The only time a member of the CIC will be able to endorse your paperwork for social security is if you have obtained an on-campus job or if you are participating in curricular practical training, optional practical training, or J-1 academic training.

Make appointments

When needing to speak with a member of the Concordia International Center (CIC), it is always best for you to make an appointment.  You may contact us at:

International Admissions

International Student Services

DSO Cherise Beardsley

DSO Amanda Reitz

Robin Kuzu/PDSO

DSO Christine Kao
262/243-4284 – Asia Pacific Program only

Kelly Kunesh-Barnett
262/243-2004 – Asia Pacific Program only

Exec. Director Dr. David Birner

Timothy Fojtik
262-243-4460 – ESL Only

Christopher Reeder
262-243-2132 – Study Abroad / Semester Abroad Only