Questions they might ask:
- Is this the best major for me?
- How do I plan a meaningful and marketable education?
- How can I develop my work related skills?
Your student may want to declare his or her major at this time. By meeting with his/her advisors to discuss available options, your student may be prepared to make a decision.
Recommendations for Family Members:
- Listen to your student's ideas, hopes, and fears, and remain open-minded.
- Suggest that they talk with a career professional and take career inventories to help confirm their choice of major.
- Ask them to explore ways to gain on-target work experience through internships, part-time, and volunteer work.
- Help them choose electives that will give them additional desirable skills.
- Persuade them to participate in resume writing and interviewing activities through career services while beginning to develop a resume.
- Help your student develop decision-making skills. Look at the available options, weigh the benefits and disadvantages, make a tentative decision, and try it out!