As a student registered with DSS, it is our hope that you will utilize your accommodations to help you be successful in your courses throughout your time at CUW. Now that you are a successfully registered with DSS, here is what you need to know.
Upon completion of your intake with the Disability Coordinator, you will either be sent login information for the DSS portal or you will be provided the login information during your intake. Once you have received access to the portal, you can begin submitting “Accommodation Requests.” This is where you will get to choose the courses for which you will use your accommodations.
Students can submit accommodation requests 1) after they have registered for classes, and 2) no sooner than midterms the semester prior. The ideal time to submit accommodation requests is 1-2 months prior to the beginning of the semester for which the student wants to use their accommodations.
To submit accommodation requests:
- Log in to your DSS Portal
- Under the term that you are requesting for, choose the courses for which you want to use your accommodations
- Click on “Step 2 – Continue to Customize Your Accommodations"
- On Step 2, you will be able to choose which accommodations you want to use in each of the classes you already selected
- Press “Submit Your Accommodation Requests”
- The DSS office will send out your faculty notification emails (typically 1 week prior to the start of the semester if you request accommodations before the semester begins)
- You will be CC’d on the faculty notification emails
- You should plan to meet with your professor during the first two weeks of class to introduce yourself and to discuss your needs in their specific course
If you have been approved for testing accommodations, you will be allowed to schedule exams, quizzes, and final exams in the Testing Center. Students must submit requests for exams and quizzes at least 3 business days in advance. Requests to take final exams in the testing center must be submitted at least 5 business days in advance. We recommend that you review your syllabus for each class at the beginning of the semester to determine when you will need to sign-up for your exams. You can sign up for exams through your DSS portal.
Please remember that you are not required to utilize all of your accommodations in all of your classes. Students registered with DSS have the ability to choose the classes for which they want to use their accommodations. With that being said, please also remember that accommodations are not retroactive and therefore cannot be applied to previously graded work.
For more information, see the Disability Support Services Student Handbook.
Don’t forget to utilize all of the free services the Learning Resource Center provides!