Electrical Safety

Click here to learn about electrical safety in the residence halls.

Living in the Residence Hall




Living in the Residence Hall

Do I have to live on campus?

No, there is no residency requirement at CUW. Undergraduates may live on or off campus. Living on campus is a lot of fun, though, and a great way to make new friends.

When will I know about my room assignment?

If we received your completed application by June 1, you should receive your room assignment by mid-July. Applications received after June 1 are processed on a rolling basis (approximately every two weeks) throughout the rest of the summer.

When can I move in?

Resident halls open each year on the Thursday prior to fall semester for freshmen. Returning students check in on the Saturday prior to fall semester. Halls open the Sunday prior to spring semester.

Can I live in the residence hall year round?

No, you're required to vacate the residence halls during the vacation periods of Christmas and Spring Break. You can leave your belongings in your room but can't access your room while the halls are closed.

Summer housing requests are processed through the Office of Residence Life.

How is my roommate selected?

We use the information you provide on your online housing application to pair you with a roommate who's interested in the same things you are, which is why it's so important to fill out the housing application yourself.

How can I contact my roommates?

As part of your housing assignment letter, you'll be sent basic contact information for your roommate. It's up to you and your roommate(s) to contact each other and talk about who'll bring what items into your room. Your CUW e-mail account is the recommended means of communication.

I was not placed with the roommate I requested, how come?

At Residence Life we try our hardest to place requested roommates together. Usually, we're able to place people together when both/all students request one another AND we receive their COMPLETE applications in our office around the same time. If not, we assign you a roommate based on the answers you provided in your housing application.

Due to the high demand for housing, we don't guarantee roommate requests. Residence Life retains the right to assign a student to any room, to assign roommates to any student, and/or to accept or deny housing to any student.

What if I don't like my roommate?

We want you to give it a try. Sometimes it takes a little time, effort, and communication to click with a roommate. The RA of your floor will be available to help you initiate a conversation.

What if I don't like my room assignment?

Housing assignments will not be changed before the start of the semester. You will need to move into your assigned room. If after two weeks of school you're still unhappy with your placement, you can request a room change. No room changes will be made until the start of the third week of the semester as available space permits.

Why didn't I get my first choice hall?

Every effort is made to place new students according to preferences. However, this can prove to be very difficult due to returning student's preferences, your date of deposit and space available to first year students. We ask that new students keep an open mind about hall assignments, as each hall has a positive atmosphere and unique traits.

Can I change rooms?

Room change requests can be made after the first two weeks of either semester. Room change request forms can be found in the Residence Life Office. A room change costs $20. You can only change your room once a year, so please make a careful decision when choosing your new room and roommate.

Can I see my room before moving in or find out what its dimensions are?

No, unfortunately you won't be able to see your room or find out what its dimensions are before you move in. Since our rooms are of such varying types and sizes, it's hard for us to give you an accurate estimate. We suggest that you pack only the necessities when you first move to campus and then see what else you need or have space for later.

How do I gain access to my room?

Each Residence Hall requires swipe access for entrance. If you're approved to stay in a hall, you can swipe your Falcon One Card in the main entryways. For entry into your particular suite or room you'll need a key (all halls except Coburg).

In Coburg, you'll have your Falcon One ID Card coded for entry into your suite, and a physical key to lock/unlock your individual room. Keys will be given to you when you check in.

For check-in information please see: How do I check in to my room?

How do I check in to my room?

On the designated opening day, your residence hall staff will be in the main lobby of your hall between 10am-4pm to give you your room key and have you complete the check-in paperwork.Before you arrive, make sure you have your CUW ID with you and that your university account is paid in full with the Cashier's Office.

Can we paint the walls?

No, unfortunately not. But there are plenty of other ways to personalize your space.

Can you loft the beds?

Yes, if you want to loft your bed, we'll provide you with the materials. When you arrive on campus, either ask our staff or look for signs saying when the lofting equipment room is open. Staff in the lofting equipment room can answer questions about how to loft beds. Lofts can't be reserved in advance. Please DO NOT bring your own loft; only Concordia-provided lofts are permitted.

What kind of mattresses do you have?

Chemnitz, Katherine, Wartburg and Wittenberg Hall have XL twin mattresses. All other halls provide standard-size twin mattresses. There is a limited supply of extra-long mattresses available on a first-come, first-served basis. Contact the Office of Residence Life to request an extra-long mattress at 262-243-4328.

What should I bring to campus?

This is the big question! When packing for school, remember that all rooms have a bed, mattress, dresser/wardrobe, desk, desk chair, refrigerator and microwave. Talk to your roommate about items you can share to avoid bringing duplicates.Here are some things to consider bringing with you to campus:

  • Alarm clock
  • Shower caddy to take your toiletries to and from the shower
  • Toiletries
  • Dishes
  • Laundry basket, detergent, dryer sheets
  • Winter clothing
  • Trash can
  • Flashlight
  • Basic cleaning supplies
  • Bible
  • Clothes hangers
  • Bed linens (standard twin), blankets, pillows
  • Towels
  • Backpack or book bag
  • Television, stereo and headphones (so you won't disturb your roommate)
  • Computer
  • Key ring

Are there things I can't bring to campus?

These items are against university policy, and you should not bring them with you this fall:

  • Alcohol (including cooking wines): CUW is a dry campus, and alcohol is banned even for students of age
  • Appliances: hot plate, electric skillet, George Foreman Grill, grill, toaster oven, toaster, space heater, air conditioner, electric blanket, etc. (if in doubt, just ask us!)
  • Halogen lamps, including "spider lamps" (too hot)
  • Extension cords (power strips with circuit breakers and a short cord are permitted)
  • Candles, incense, or anything with an open flame
  • Weapons of any kind
  • Anything that would require you to remove your window screen (AC unit, satellite dish)
  • Pets (besides fish in a tank less than 15 gallons), but most definitely bring a photo!


What is provided in the room?

For each resident, all rooms include:

  • Desk
  • Desk chair
  • Bed
  • Wardrobe and/or dresser
  • Drapes or blinds
  • Ethernet jack
  • Phone jack
  • Cable TV connection
  • Smoke detector
  • Microfridge (refrigerator, freezer, and microwave combination unit)

All provided furnishings must stay in your room at all times.

Do I need to bring a microwave or refrigerator to campus?

No, all rooms are equipped with a microwave and refrigerator. Any refrigerators brought onto campus need to be approved by the Resident Director of your building and can't exceed 3.5 cubic feet in size.

Can I have a car on campus?

Yes, vehicles may be brought to campus and must be registered with Campus Safety. You can register your vehicle on the Portal under the Student Services Tab. The cost for vehicle registration is $100. Student parking is in our covered parking structure.

For more vehicle and parking questions please contact the Campus Safety Office at 262-243-4344 or check out their webpage.

Can I bring a bicycle on campus?

Yes, you may bring your bicycle on campus. Please register your bicycle with Campus Safety. There are bike racks around campus as well as in the basement between Regents Hall and Augsburg Hall. For more questions please contact Campus Safety at 262-243-4344.

Is there wireless internet and cable?

Yes, each residence hall is equipped with cable and wireless internet. If you want to take advantage of these services, please provide your own TV, cable cord and/or computer. For additional information, please contact the Information Technology Office at 262-243-HELP (4357).

Below is the link to the CUW Channel Guide and QAM tuners for approved TV’s:
Channel Guide
QAM tuners information

Where are the laundry facilities and how much does it cost to use them?

Each residence hall has its own on-site laundry facility. Laundry facilities are FREE of charge for all resident students. Residents must provide their own laundry detergent and dryer sheets.

Are there kitchens in the residence halls?

All residents have access to residence hall kitchens. Kitchens are located in Augsburg, Wittenberg, Regents and Coburg.

Will I have a landline phone in my room?

Personal phone lines are available on request. Go to the my.cuw.edu portal and look under the student tab for the request link. (Note: Coburg and Chemnitz are not wired for analog phone, but still possible if necessary.) Physical phones are not provided. Phone lines can be moved if you change rooms.

If you have any questions or problems locating the request link, please contact the Information Technology Office at 262-243-4321.

Are the residence halls air-conditioned?

Coburg and Chemnitz Halls have air conditioning. If you live in any of the other halls, you can bring a fan to campus.

Do students have to clean their bathrooms?

The residence hall housekeeping staff cleans and maintains community bathrooms. Students with non-community baths, such as Chemnitz, Coburg, Katharine and Regents, are responsible for cleaning their own bathrooms.

What bathroom supplies do I have to bring?

Please bring any toiletries you need such as a toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush or comb, hand soap, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc. If you have your own bathroom, you'll be happy to find that the university provides you with toilet paper. Your RA can point you to the toilet paper supply in your building.

If you have your own bathroom, please bring cleaning supplies as you'll be responsible for cleaning it yourself. Welcome to adulthood!

Which halls have community bathrooms?

Augsburg, Wartburg and Wittenberg have community bathrooms.

How do I get my mail and what will my mailing address be?

If you live on campus, you'll be assigned a mailbox in the Mail Center in the Undercroft beneath the Chapel. You'll have the same mailbox each year for the entire time you live in campus housing - even if you change rooms, your mailbox stays the same.

You're required to check your campus mailbox at least once peer week. You are held accountable for the information sent to you via your campus mailbox.

Mail can be sent to your attention in the following way:

Your Name
Mailbox #
700 Highland Road
Mequon, WI 53092

If you receive a package or any mail that doesn't fit in your mailbox, you will receive an email from the Mail Center. You must show your CUW ID to the mailroom's service desk to obtain your items.

Does the University provide storage for students?

There is no storage available for students. This also applies to the summer months.

What if I want to bring my own desk/bed from home?

All furniture provided by the university must remain in your room at all times. If you choose to bring your own furniture, it is in addition to, not in place of, furniture provided by CUW.


What are the dining options on campus?

You definitely won't starve on campus. You can pick from four dining options:

Siebert Lutheran Dining Hall is our main dining facility. It's an all-you-can-eat, dine-in facility serving our student body seven days a week. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served Monday-Friday, and brunch and dinner are served on Saturday and Sunday.

The Falcon's Nest is the newly renovated food court style dining location. It features a Tex Mex/Asian station, Express by Uno's pizzeria, an Original Burger Company as well as a smoothie station.

C-Store & Simply to Go
M-F 10:30am-12:00am
Sat & Sun 6:00pm-11:00pm

Original Burger
M-F 10:00am-12:00am
Sun 6:00pm-11:00pm

Express by Uno
M-F 10:30am-12:00am
Sun 6:00pm-11:00pm

Tex Mex/Asian Station
M-F 11:00am-2:00pm
Mon-Sun 5:00-8:00pm

Smoothie Station & Coffee
M-Th 11:00-12:00am
Fri 11:00am-5:00pm

The BBC (Books, Bagels and Coffee) is located in the library. The BBC is Concordia's very own coffee shop featuring a variety of gourmet coffees, bagels, muffins and fruit. Students can use meal swipes or Falcon points to purchase meals or snacks to go.

The Landing is located in the commuter's lounge. Options here include subs, salads, ice cream, and more.

Starbucks Coffee
M-Th 11:00-12:00am
Fri 11:00am-5:00pm
Starbucks Coffee is located in the library and Falcons Nest. Students can use meal swipes or Falcon points to purchase meals or snacks to go.

What meal plans are offered?

Concordia University Wisconsin has four meal plan options:

  • 10 weekly meals and 300 Falcon Points
  • 15 weekly meals and 100 Falcon Points
  • 19 weekly meals and 50 Falcon Points
  • 200 semester meals and 200 Falcon Points

Learn more about student meal plans here.

All meal plans cost the SAME amount of money. All resident students are required to have a meal plan as part of the Residence Hall and Food Service Agreement.

The two components of meal plans are:

  1. Meal swipes: used in the main dining hall, the coffee shop (BBC), or the Falcon's Nest
  2. Falcon points: used just like cash in the BBC and Falcon's Nest

Three of our meal plans include a number of weekly meal swipes - 10, 15, or 19 - that reset each week. Any unused meals at the end of the week or points at the end of the semester are non-refundable.

The fourth meal plan, called the block plan, includes a number of meal swipes - 200 - that can be used throughout one semester. Any unused meals and points at the end of the fall semester can be used during Winterim and unused meals are transferred to the spring semester.

How do I know which mean plan is best for me?

What meal plan you choose is entirely up to you, but here are a few things to consider:

  • If you plan to be on campus every weekend and never miss breakfast, the 19-meal plan allows you to eat every meal in a given week.
  • If you plan to go off-campus on the weekends or just miss meals sometimes, consider the flexibility of the 10 or 15 meal plans, as points offer more of a grab-and-go and late night dining options.
  • The 200 block plan allows you to use meals at your own pace.

Take a look at our Meal Plan and Dining Options webpage which describes the meal plans in more detail.

For more information you can also visit the Sodexo website.

Can I change my meal plan?

Meal plans can only be changed by the student in-person during the first week of either semester. Parents may not call or email to change a meal plan. To change your meal plan, please stop by the Residence Life Office during the first week of either semester between 8am-4:30pm and fill out a meal plan change request form.

Please remember, you are permitted only one change per semester, and the request has to be submitted within the first week of a semester.


Can I have family/friends spend the night in my room?

Visitors of the same sex are welcome to spend the night for up to three nights a month but they are your responsibility. Visitors of the opposite sex (including family members) are not allowed during the following hours: Sunday through Thursday from 1:00am - 8:00am; Friday and Saturday from 2:00am-8:00am. Guests are the host student's responsibility at all times.

Are there hotels in the area that give a Concordia discount for my family/friends?

Yes. See the lodging information here.

What if I need a medical accommodation?

Please inform the Disabilities Services Coordinator of any disability of accessibility needs you may have. Residence Life is unable to accommodate any needs without proper documentation from the Disabilities Services Office. You can contact the Disabilities Services Coordinator at 262-243-2623.

What insurance do I need?

All students must have proof of health insurance in order to live on campus. Property insurance is not available, and the university does not cover the loss of a student's personal effects.

I cancelled my housing. Where is my $300 security deposit?

If you're leaving campus housing at any time before the end of the year you are breaching your housing contract and forfeiting your $300 deposit.

What if I'm no longer coming to CUW?

Please make sure to cancel with the Admissions Office, Advising Services Office, and the Office of Residence Life. There is a form available on this site to cancel your housing agreement.

Are there on-campus jobs?

Yes, there are on-campus jobs. And they're a great way to earn some extra spending money. For more information please contact the Career Services Office at 262-243-4401.

What is an RA? What other housing staff is there?

A Resident Assistant (RA) is a student who's been selected and trained to support and assist you. S/he will work to develop community in your hall and serve as a resource for you as you adjust to campus life.

Other Residence Life Staff includes five Resident Directors (RDs). An RD is a full time professional who oversees several residence halls and supervises the RA staff. Resident Directors have an office in one of their halls and are available during normal business hours and three Assistant Resident Directors (ARDs).

How can I get involved?

There are many ways to get involved on campus. The major organizations include Student Government, Campus Activities Board (CAB), Residence Hall Association (RHA), Campus Ministry and plenty of other clubs and organizations. Make sure to check out the Co-Curricular Fair during Orientation Weekend!

What is RHA?

RHA stands for Resident Hall Association. It's a group that serves students who live in campus housing through programming and has input on policy decisions. There are representatives from each hall, and you can get involved by running for a position at the beginning of the fall semester.