Curious about what makes up the world around you? Then Chemistry might be the major for you. Everything from smartphones to pharmaceuticals is possible because their developers understand chemistry.
Why Study Chemistry at CUW?
A CUW degree in Chemistry offers you:
- Classes taught by professors with industry experience
- Interactive learning in the classroom and the lab
- Individual attention and small class sizes
- Internships to gain lab or field experience outside of the classroom
- Multiple research opportunities
- Years to complete: 4
What You’ll Learn in CUW’s Chemistry Program
When you finish your studies at CUW you’ll be ready to:
- Create the products you encounter every day
- Investigate the composition of matter
- Design and perform studies to better understand the physical world
- Observe the real world, draw conclusions and challenge accepted beliefs
- Create and control chemical reactions
- Apply chemical principles to analysis, sampling and data
Chemistry affects every aspect of our lives. Possible career directions include:
- Chemical sales
- Environmental chemistry
- Forensic science
- Pharmaceutical development
- R&D management
- Graduate school
- Pharmacy school
- Medical school
- Dental school
- Veterinary school
You can add a minor in Mathematics, Biology, Environmental studies, a foreign language, or other areas depending on your interests.
CUW’s chemistry major meets the requirements for certification by the American Chemical Society (ACS).
Application for this certification is a multi-year process. We have:
- Met ACS requirements for the number of students who have graduated from the program
- Initiated the application process in the fall of 2014
- December 2014 - Approved to move forward with the process and will be submitting a full application for certification within the coming months.
CUW’s Chemistry curriculum includes coursework in general, organic, analytical, inorganic and physical chemistry as well as biochemistry and physics. See our course catalog for details.