1. How long is the program?
    The program is 41 credits of course work for NPs and 39 credits for NEs. Average progression is 3-4 years.
  2. Is the program accredited?
    Yes. The Master’s Degree in Nursing Program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington DC 20036, 202-887-6791.
  3. How can I apply for the program?
    You can apply online or through Nursing CAS.
  4. How do I register for classes? All students register online by completing the following steps:
    • Log into the portal at
    • Select the Student Services tab
    • On the left side in the Registration Tools section, select look up classes
    • Select the term of your class
    • Narrow your search by selecting subject and any other search criteria needed such as campus
    • Online course numbers begin with an 8 and on-campus course numbers begin with a 5(all MSN Nursing courses are online, except MSN538 Advanced Health Assessment)
  5. Am I given a CUW e-mail address?
    Yes. Directions will be sent explaining how to set up an e-mail account. The CUW e-mail account is required for all correspondence from the School of Nursing and CUW. If a problem occurs during set up, the IT (information technology) Helpdesk can be reached at 262-243-4357.
  6. Is a BSN needed?
    Yes, a BSN is required prior to beginning any graduate course work.
  7. Is there a residency requirement for the program?
    Yes. There is a one-day mandatory on-campus orientation for all Nurse Practitioner students to attend before beginning MSN coursework. This orientation is held twice a year – usually once in August and once in January. Nurse Practitioner students must also complete the two week MSN 538 Advanced Health Assessment on campus. This is the only course required to be taken on campus and is offered twice a year (early January or late June).
  8. What does the academic advisor do?
    Advisors help you develop a progression plan that meets your future academic goals.
  9. Is financial aid available?
    Yes, loans are available for eligible students. At this time, we do not offer graduate student scholarships, however we are always seeking donors willing to support our endowments. There are limited funds available to support global travel as part of the MSN curriculum.
  10. Are courses offered on the internet?
    All classes are available online except MSN 538, Advanced Health Assessment, which must be taken on campus over a two week period. Students use Blackboard (a virtual online learning management environment) for course delivery.
  11. Is there a comprehensive examination at the end of the program?
    No, there is not a comprehensive exam; however, students are required to prepare a portfolio.
  12. What is the pass rate for students at CUW on the national NP certification examination?
    Our pass rate is consistently above the national average.
  13. What is the Global Perspectives course?
    This course is designed for students to experience a culture different from their own. Graduate students take this course during winter break or spring break. Students explore health care in another culture and share the Word of the Lord.
  14. Can Advanced Pathophysiology be taken at a different university?
    No, all MSN students are required to take MSN 836 Advanced Pathophysiology Across the Lifespans at CUW.
  15. When is MSN 538 Advanced Health Assessment offered?
    This course is offered on campus twice a year; once during the first two weeks of January and again during the last two full weeks of June.
  16. Why do the core courses need to be finished prior to starting Health Assessment MSN 538?
    Specific knowledge learned in the core courses applies to assessment and clinical courses.
  17. Who can be a preceptor for NP students?
    The preceptor must have at least one year of clinical experience, and must be state licensed and board certified. A practicum proposal and preceptor form will be completed by the student. CUW faculty will review all documentation to assure the preceptor is appropriately credentialed and the site allows students to meet course objectives.
  18. Do I need to find my own preceptors?
    Yes. Students are responsible for networking in their communities and identifying a person willing to work with them as a preceptor. This process gets students involved in developing networking skills.
  19. How many hours of clinical are needed?
    Nurse Practitioner students must complete a minimum of 600 clinical hours to fulfill the program requirements. This requires at least 200 hours a semester, distributed over the entire semester at 14 to 16 hours per week. The Nurse Educator clinical component includes at least 250 hours over three semesters. Students are not allowed to condense their hours any other way.
  20. How often does an instructor visit me in clinical?
    Each NP student will have a clinical instructor visit them at least one time each semester at the clinical site. More visits may be scheduled if deemed necessary.
  21. When do clinical courses begin?
    Clinical courses must begin directly after health assessment and be completed sequentially.
  22. How are the clinical courses arranged?
    There are two cycles to coincide with the two advanced Health Assessment offerings. The spring clinical rotation starts at the end of January with the first clinical, followed by the second clinical the next fall and finishing up with the final and third clinical the following spring. The fall clinical rotation starts at the end of August with the first clinical, followed by the second clinical the next spring and finishing up with the final and third clinical the following fall.
  23. Do you have a post master’s degree track?
    Yes, Concordia offers a Certificate After Graduate Education (CAGE) program. More information can be found at this link
  24. How much will books cost?
    Books cost about $4,000 for the program with the cost slightly increasing each year. There will be additional expenses related to Advanced Health Assessment and clinicals such lodging, background checks, drug testing, and immunizations.
  25. How do I get my books?
    Books may be purchased at the University Bookstore on campus or ordered online at the bookstore website.