The Athletic Department continues to work hard to prepare for fall and winter athletic practices and games. We are committed to ensuring that our athletes are as safe as possible. We continue to receive and study guidance from athletic conferences, as well as federal and state medical/health officials for the return of intercollegiate athletics. As we make new decisions and implement new plans, we will update this document and communicate with you.
As of June 1, 2020 these protocols will guide campus athletics:
- All student athletes, coaches, trainers, and other athletic staff will receive additional education and training on safety and minimizing risk of infection. This training will be delivered upon your return to campus.
- Each student athlete will be screened for infection each day during their sport’s season; anyone showing symptoms will be isolated in order to protect teammates and staff.
- Each student athlete and athletic staff member is expected to follow University standards and protocols for proper hygiene, including washing hands and using appropriate PPE.
- Housekeeping will clean and disinfect all locker rooms, weight rooms, and other athletic facilities following CDC guidelines.
- Where appropriate, team meetings will take place virtually (through Zoom).
- Practices and games will adhere to controls for physical distancing; this may include limiting the number of spectators. Protocols for team travel will also follow guidelines of COVID-19 prevention and social distancing.
Co-curricular events, activities and recreational spaces
Co-curricular programming is integral to the Concordia experience. We are eager to provide the full slate of campus traditions this fall, as well as new opportunities, but we will utilize some modifications to ensure everyone's safety.
Major on-campus events such as Fall Welcome Weekend will continue in a safer format, which includes smaller group sizes to allow for physical distancing. We will also provide parts of the weekend in a virtual format.
Other university events, campus ministry, performing and visual arts, student clubs and organizations, and other campus activities will follow similar protocols for smaller group sizes, using virtual resources, and ensuring proper cleaning pre and post-events.
Recreational spaces that include the Student Union (Albrecht Lounge) will be limited to the number of students allowed in at any given time to allow for physical distancing. These spaces will also be closed at scheduled times for daily cleaning.